ACLU: Know Your Voting Rights in Wisconsin

June 5, 2012
ACLU of Wisconsin

The Recall Election is Tuesday, June 5, 2012.  Polls are open from 7am-8pm CST.

You do NOT need photo ID to vote in the recall election.

You May Vote in Wisconsin If:

  • You will be 18 years old or older by Election Day.
  • You are a U.S. citizen.
  • You will be a Wisconsin resident for at least 28 days by Election Day.
  • You have registered to vote – or you register to vote on Election Day.

You May Vote EVEN IF:

  • You don’t have a driver’s license or photo ID.
  • You have a past felony conviction, as long as you are “off paper” (you completed your sentence). If you are on probation, parole or extended supervision for a felony conviction, you cannot vote. If you were only convicted of a misdemeanor, you can vote – even if you are still serving your sentence.
  • You don’t speak English (as long as you are a U.S. citizen).
  • You are a student living away from your parents (you can choose to vote where you live to go to school OR where your family’s home is. You may only vote once.)

How do I Register?

  • You can register to vote anytime between now and the recall electon. You can even register at the polls on Election Day.
  • If you register by May 16 at your clerk’s office or with a Special Registration Deputy, you don’t need to show any documents with your address. Find a list of the local clerks offices online:
  • If you register after May 16 or on Election Day, bring a document with your name and voting address. This must be: a recent utility bill (electric, cell, phone, cable, etc.); a lease; a bank statement; a pay check; an employer ID card; a government document or check; a letter from a homeless shelter; a college photo ID along with a university fee receipt or list of dorm residents; a driver’s license or a state ID. (You cannot use credit card bills, collection notices, magazine subscriptions, or personal mail to register.)
  • If you have a Wisconsin driver’s license, bring it to put the license number on the voter registration card. (If you don’t have a license, use your state ID card number or the last 4 digits of your social security number).

Can I Vote Early or Absentee for the Recall Election?

  • You can register (if you need to) and vote early (absentee) from May 21 – June 1 at the clerk’s office. Some clerks will have weekend hours.
  • You can also register (if you need to) and, by Thursday May 31, fill out a form to have an absentee ballot mailed to you for the recall election, with the address you will be at the beginning of June. The ballot must be postmarked by Tuesday June 5, and the clerk must receive it by 4 p.m. on Friday June 8.

What If I Moved after May 8?

  • If you move between May 9 and June 5, you need to register and vote at the address you lived at before moving.

To find your polling place visit: